Feb 6, 2010

My feelings on gay marriage/rights.

Yes I know, CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC. Well get over it. I'm going to say what I think and if you don't like it go elsewhere.

I 100% support gay marriage and rights.


My first reason is this: Love. With all the horrible things that happen in this world, all the hate and destruction.. why would any person want to stop any kind of love? Gender shouldn't be a factor in love. It's love no matter what. Marriage is a union between two people, and equal partnership that joins two people that are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together. Why should gender get in the way of this? Why? Nearly seventy percent of people in the U.S. oppose gay marriage, almost the same proportion as are otherwise supportive of gay rights. This means that many of the same people who are even passionately in favor of gay rights oppose gays on this one issue. Why this one issue? That just doesn't make sense to me. Ask almost anyone, they'll tell you they're in favor of equal rights for homosexuals. Just name the situation, and ask. They'll all say, yes, gays should have the same rights in housing, jobs, public accommodations, and should have equal access to government benefits, equal protection of the law, etcetera, etcetera. But when you bring up marriage everyone gets quiet. The equality stops there.


Now what I'm going to do is list the top reasons why people oppose gay marriage and then list my reasons as to why I believe them to be false.


1.Marriage is an institution between one man and one woman.
This is probably the most popular of the arguments. Yet, it's still pretty weak. Who decided who is allowed to marry and who isn't? It's a human right. It seems to me that if the straight community cannot show a compelling reason to deny the institution of marriage to gay people, it shouldn't be denied.

2. Marriage is for procreation.
For this one I went ahead and looked up marriage in the dictionary. This is what I found: the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock. There isn't one thing in that definition that says anything about having children. Also, I know plenty of heterosexual couples that never have kids, nor do they plan on it. So if marriage is for procreation then they should be at fault as well right?

3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum environment in which to raise children.
Ha, that's funny. Considering that many straight people are horrible parents. What about the children of murderers, felons, even child molesters? They are allowed children everyday. But of course they must be fit parents if they are straight right?

4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage.
Says who? The Bible? While I am a Christ follower I still promote gay rights. Why you may ask? Because I've moved my mind set on from 2000 years ago. I always thought that freedom of religion implied the right to freedom from religion as well. The Bible has absolutely no standing in American law and because it doesn't, no one has the right to impose rules anyone else simply because of something they perceive to be mandated by the Bible.

5. Marriage is traditionally a heterosexual institution.
This is morally the weakest argument. Slavery was also a traditional institution, based on traditions that went back to the very beginnings of human history. But by the 19th century, humankind had realized the evils of that institution, and has since largely abolished it. Why not recognize the truth, that there is no moral ground on which to support the tradition of marriage as a strictly heterosexual institution, and remove the restriction?

6. Gay sex is unnatural.
This argument, obviously referring to sodomy and oral sex, betrays a considerable ignorance of behavior in the animal kingdom. The fact is that among the approximately 1500 animal species whose behavior has been extensively studied, homosexual behavior in animals has been described in at least 450 of those species. The reality is that it is so common that it begs for an explanation, and biologists have proposed a wide variety of explanations to account for it. The fact that it is so common also means that it has evolutionary significance, which applies as much to humans as it does to other animal species.

7. If gay marriage is legalized, homosexuality would be promoted in the public schools.
Now this just doesn't make sense. Do they typically preach heterosexual marriage in schools and I'm just not aware of it? I mean, gay marriage is already legal in some countries and even states in the US. And I haven't heard of any school promoting gay marriage, let alone straight marriage.

8. Same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences.
If concern over the "slippery slope" were the real motive behind this argument, the advocate of this line of reasoning would be equally vocal about the fact that today, convicted murderers, child molesters, known pedophiles, drug pushers, pimps, black market gun dealers, etc., are quite free to marry, and are doing so every day. Where's the outrage? Of course there isn't any, and that lack of outrage betrays their real motives. This is an anti-gay issue and not a pro marriage or child protection issue.




So here's my conclusion to anyone reading this. The arguments above are basically completely ridiculous and violate the human right to marry. Love is love no matter what and we as human beings shouldn't stop it. Also, I'll let you all know (because I'm sure you wondering) I am not gay. In fact I am very straight. I just thought about this issue in a lot of depth and felt I should post my views on it. I believe in equality for everyone, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee, this is amazing. Run for president. NOW.

    -Mel (sorry, Gloria's my blog name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, thank you Mel. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

    ReplyDelete